Experts In Higher Productivity & Profitability

Close Icon

Contact Info     Contact Us Today!

Hello! You Play to Win the Game! Your Executive Business Coach Explains

Do you have a Winning Formula for your Business?

Avid Football Fans are all familiar with the phrase “HELLO! You Play to Win the Game.”  This statement was made in 2002 by Herm Edwards, then coach of the NY Jets.  His team had just lost 24-21 to the Cleveland Browns to make their record 2 wins and 5 losses on the season.  A NY Times sports writer asked Herm if his team was going to continue to work hard to win their remaining 9 games.  His response has become one of the most memorable quotes of the last 10 years.

HELLO! You Play to Win the GAME!

Question . . .

Are you playing to win?

Or, just playing to survive until tomorrow?

If you are merely in survival mode, do you know that means you are actually losing ground to the competition that is pushing forward?

Do you know what you need to do to WIN?!

Football teams have coaches because players cannot “see” everything that is happening and how to correct it.   I can tell you that the members of the NY Jets could not have figured out what to do differently to win without their coaches.  How do I know?  It is a FACT that we (humans) cannot see our own errors like an experience seasoned professional can that is observing.  That is why we all need assistance to learn and improve.  All of us!

Think about this . . .

From the moment of birth, most of us are fortunate enough to have parents to guide us, then

Music and dance instructors to show us new skills, then

Sport coaches, teachers, professors, and finally we enter the work arena and we get a manager.  We rely on these people’s experience to help us succeed and avoid unnecessary mistakes.

Now here is the part that makes no sense.

You step out to run your own business and try and do it on your own!?  REALLY?

Unfortunately, most businesses do not survive 5 years and plenty of mature businesses struggle and fail.  You know why — management mistakes, many of them avoidable.    It is not because of the economy or the lack of capital or competition but because the people running the company made mistakes.  How can I say this with such confidence?  If the competitors survived, that means their managers made decisions different from the managers of the businesses that failed.

EVERYONE NEEDS A Coach

Think about this . . . every world-class athlete has a coach,

The top companies in the world hire coaches for their executives,

You had a coach in little league!!

But when taking the greatest risks of your life, you go it alone??  That is a bad management decision!

So, what happened to the NY Jets?

The end of story with the Jets is a good one.  They turned it around.  They went 7 wins and 2 losses the rest of the year and ended up in a 3-way tie for the AFC East title.  Based on tie breakers, they were named AFC East Champs.  They then won their first playoff game against the Colts 41-0.

Lesson Learned?

If things are going great for you right now, or, if things are not going as well as you want, my recommendation is the same.

STOP and explore the opportunity to get senior management expertise at a fraction of the cost.  That means a Coach.

It is one of the best investments in yourself and your business you will ever make.

Risk Free Offer

To aid you in learning more, we offer a complimentary Preliminary Management Assessment.  Contact US to arrange a convenient time and in less than an hour you will KNOW what the best path is for you to take in your business and professional career.

Darsweil

PS

There is no substitute for good management and there is no way to see all the opportunities and challenges you are presented with.  Unfortunately it is just a reality of being human! Act now.Click Here

17 Responses so far.

1. jim graham says:

What a great article! Very though provoking and inspirational. Thank you for posting.

2. Jan says:

This makes so much sense. Excellent points!

3. Manny says:

Great points, especially about doing an assessment, it is important to know where are you now? Where are you going? How are you going to get there? And, how do you know when you get there? Having a coach, someone who has been there before, who knows the things that work and things that don’r helps you to be successful.

• DLRogers says:

The assessments are key! People frequently hate to look introspectively, but you can achieve more by being realistic about your own capabilities than anything else. When you know what you don’t do well you can bring people around you to support the things you do not do well.

4. Jonn Thomas says:

Excellent Points DL!

I think that having a coach is one of the best gifts you can give yourself as a business owner or senior manager.

I’ve had coaches, consultants and mentors throughout my entire 28 year business career.

I noticed that some of the best years (most productive and most profitable) were during the time I had a business coach.

Thanks again for your insights and analogies!

Jonn

• DLRogers says:

It is Jonn! I had a coach when I was JP Morgan. I really helped me to clarify a lot of my thinking. That allow me to make faster decisions which is always a desirable element to success

5. Odell Montgomery Cooper says:

Great analogy! Play to win. Everyone needs a coach, their role is to guide us and help “us” and prevent “us” from getting in our own way. I am employed today because of your advise to seeking a coach. I am learning to be competitive and demonstrating my value to the companies mission early and continuously. My coach is empowering me to control my career path based on my professional contributions. I refuse to be left behind, overlooked or catch up. I am in it to Win!

6. DLRogers says:

Great comments! One the money, thanks for the comments.

7. Odell Montgomery Cooper says:

8. Kim Rhim says:

Working with a certified coach is worth the time and money! It is often lonely at the top, and having an objective coach helped me to focus on the most important things, make tough decisions, and achieve work/life balance.

• DLRogers says:

Kim thank you! What is notable about your circumstance is you operate in the Not for Profit space. This points out that great advice and insight is not just reserved for those executives looking to turn a profit. Bottom line we all can use some insight. To emphasize the point, I also have a coach!

Darsweil

9. Michele Crockett says:

Darsweil,
    Superbly written! I had not realized how valuable business coaching was until I had an opportunity to be mentored by a mentoring team from the Kauffman Foundation. It was the best professional move I’ve made yet. Just like the analogy of the football coach seeing what the players can’t see, we too need eyes that can canvass what we may overlook and the expertise of those who have successfully threaded the waters ahead of us. Excited to read your next penning.

10. DLRogers says:

Thanks Antonio, great comment. The active dynamic interaction between people is mandatory for high performance.

As a manager you need to be a coach to your staff and as a manager you need coaching as well… It is what I call common sense but it is not commonly applied.

11. This is a great article DL. I feel like there are a million things I don’t know! We’ve been through lots of trial and error with our business.

• DLRogers says:

Tonya, I can totally relate to your point. Think about what you assumed would happen in your business when you started it. Today I am sure you realize that the challenges and potential solutions are not exactly what you thought. Overtime you will make a lot of additional discoveries on how to grow and sustain your business. The beauty of business is that there is a fairly simple set of elements you need to get right to grow. The challenge is knowing when to apply them. I suggest we commit to talk about where you would like to go over the next 5 years. Contact me offline.

I get great pleasure from seeing people succeed with their vision

Darsweil